Difficult people in the Dealing with Difficult People Card Pack include the Overextenders. We discussed these in another difficult people blog post. They say yes to doing more than they can and are then unable to deliver. They absolutely overextend themselves and therefore let themselves and others down.
DEALING WITH DIFFICULT PEOPLE LIKE THIS IS NOT EASY
Overextenders do not fit the usual picture in dealing with difficult people. They are not aggressive, obstinate, irate or nasty people. However, their behavior in over promising and being unable to deliver does cause problems, especially if you are relying on them to do what they say they will.
They promise too many people that they can do too much and then are caught in the middle being unable to do what they said to people that they would do.
DEALING WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE OVEREXTENDERS
So how do you deal with people who are Overextenders? Here are just a few quick tips on the what to do when you get the dealing difficult people card of the Overextender.
1. Be very clear with them on what you need them to do.
2. Make it something that has a start date and end date (and certainly not into the too distant future).
3. Talk through with them how they are going to do what you are asking them to do in this task.
4. Coach them on how to say no to other things that may get in the way of finishing what they have agreed to do for you.
5. Before they say a final ‘yes’ – give them the option of saying ‘no’ and be clear that you would accept their need to say no now, rather than promise what they cannot deliver.
6. If and when they say yes – then go over one more time – the task and the timeline to start and complete what they have agreed to for you.
OVEREXTENDERS NEED HELP TO CHANGE
These steps can really help when dealing with difficult people who are Overextenders. Often such difficult people can be assisted to move with these steps from over-promising and being unable to deliver. To taking back control of their own lives and following through on what they say they will do.
DIFFICULT PEOPLE AND MORE IDEAS
In further dealing with difficult people blog posts, we’ll look a bit deeper at difficult people types that you are coping with in your life. You can get more ideas on coping with difficult people in our free difficult people articles.
But to help you with difficult people you could use our DEALING WITH DIFFICULT PEOPLE PACKAGES.